Thursday, November 12, 2009

Isaiah Writes of Christ's Birth


Isaiah 7:14; Isaiah 9:67
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14


Isaiah was a prophet of God who prophesied to the people of Israel that the Savior Jesus Christ would be born to a pure and righteous woman. Isaiah said the Savior would be called "Immanuel" (Isaiah 7:14), a name which signifies that Jesus would save His people (see Bible Dictionary, "Immanuel," 706). Isaiah also prophesied that Jesus would be called "Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:6), and that He would rule over all the earth (see Isaiah 9:7).


Summary


Isaiah, an Old Testament prophet, foretold the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.


Artist, Harry Anderson


© 2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in the USA

My Word: The time distance between Isaiah and Nephi (Book of Mormon) is about the same time distance between Joseph Smith and us...150 to 200 years. Isaiah's words are wonderful but his writing style is difficult to understand. I think this may be very deliberate because if you really want to know great things you have to greatly study! Personal Experience: several years ago I was reading the scriptures daily for hours at a time....I just could not get enough. Even though Isaiah was difficult I struggled through. When I read his words for the umteenth time in the Book of Mormon I loved them. I even read 2nd Nephi twice in a row that's how much I enjoyed it! Did I understand the context or the prophesies...no, but I was beginning to love the language, how he wrote. Then I quit reading. I tried reading 2 Nephi's Isaiah chapters a few years ago...it was like slogging through mud. It didn't make any sense to me at all. I did not enjoy reading Isaiah's words and realized that I had lost so much in the years of inconsistant scripture reading!

QUote: "Has someone ever recommended a book to you? Did it make any difference who recommended it? Did the recommendation influence your feelings toward the book? Ponder the following recommendation given the writings of Isaiah: "And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah." (3 Nephi 23:1) " (Taken from the Old Testament, Student Manual, pg. 137) Assignment: Who said 'great are the words of Isaiah"? Does this change your mind about reading Isaiah? Also, look up Isaiah 52:2 read it. Does Isaiah seem to contradict himself? Use your footnotes...what is he actually saying? (This is one of my very favorite scriptures!) As I am looking through my Isaiah chapters with all of my notes and cross-references...."Great are the words of Isaiah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment