Monday, January 4, 2010

Christ Ordaining the Apostles



Matthew 10:14; Mark 3:1319; Luke 6:1216; John 15:16
And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach. Mark 3:14



Early in His ministry, Jesus spent an entire night in the mountains praying to Heavenly Father. When daylight came, He called His faithful followers to Him and chose twelve whom He ordained to be Apostles. They were Simon Peter and his brother Andrew; James and John the sons of Zebedee; Philip; Bartholomew; Matthew; Thomas; James the son of Alpheus; Thaddeus; Simon the Canaanite; and Judas Iscariot. (See Matthew 10:24; Mark 3:13, Mark 3:1619; Luke 6:1216.)



Jesus gave the Twelve the power of the priesthood, which they were to use to help Him in His work—preaching the gospel, healing the sick, raising the dead, and casting out unclean spirits (see Matthew 10:1; Mark 3:1415).



As Jesus neared the end of His earthly ministry, He reminded the Apostles at the Last Supper that He had called them and ordained them to preach the gospel. Jesus told the Apostles that as they did this work, "whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you" (John 15:16).



Summary



By revelation Jesus Christ chose twelve of His followers and ordained them to be His Apostles. He gave them the priesthood, which is the power to act in His name, so that they could preach the gospel and minister to the people.



Artist, Harry Anderson



© 2002 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in the USA

MY Word: The older I get (sometimes I say I'm older than dirt) and the more experience I have with the whole "calling" process, the more amazed I am how revelation works. This past month new callings have come to many in our ward. This was my experience: the Bishop told me that I was going to be released from my current calling (shocked I was) then he told me I was being considered for a new position but it would be a while before he would make that change. I had a few weeks to ponder what the Lord wanted me to do. I started listing all of the positions held by women beginning with Young Women's and immediately dismissed the thought for several reasons but mostly because I spent many years there and just didn't want to go back into that organization....it's a busy one! But as I continued to ponder absolutely nothing came to my mind and no feelings to my heart. The morning that the Bishop issued the new call I was getting ready for church when a line from my Patriarchal Blessing went through my mind...."you will teach the youth" and I thought "no, no, they will not change who is in there now." Well guess what .... the Lord changed everyone! I will now be serving in the YW's Presidency as a Counselor! I have to chuckle and am very glad the Heavenly Father is patient....He did give me a couple of hints!

Now for the calling of the 12: Jesus also prayed about his Apostles. Did he make a mistake with Judas Iscariot? (If you don't already know, Judas betrays Jesus and makes His arrest by the Sanhedrin possible. More later.) One time in Sunday School class someone made the comment about the character of Judas, it was harsh....although I don't remember what exactly was said...I just remember the controversy. I also remembered that Someone called Judas a devil. (v. 66-71) I think that pretty much ends the debate! Heavenly Father and Jesus knows each of us personally!

If you have doubts about the leaders of the Church just try this: take the best 15 men you know, think about their life experiences, and characters then make a comparison to the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles. Learn of their lives, experiences and character... I hope to be worthy to call them my friends! They are not "perfect" but their integrity/virtue is wide and deep!

1 comment: