Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Jesus Praying with His Mother


Whew!....That was a long break. I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!



Isn't this the sweetest picture? We have no scriptures that say...."and Mary taught Jesus to pray".... but we can draw upon our own experiences as parents and reason that she did so. From the above scriptures do you get a sense for Jesus and Mary's (his mother) relationship. His concern for her at the end of His life causes me to tear up.
"It is possible that Jesus attended the Jewish synagogues and was taught in the learning of the Jews by the rabbis. If so, much of what Jesus heard would have been a perversion of truth, for Judaism was in a state of apostasy. His most significant education, therefore, came through the Spirit from his Heavenly Father. Jesus testified of himself: "I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things." (John 8:28) And again: "The Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak." (John 12:49) Who taught Jesus what he knew? His Father, God the Father, taught him. That he was taught by wiser than mortal men is evident, and that he learned his lessons well, for the Prophet Joseph Smith said of him: "When still a boy, He had all the intelligence necessary to enable Him to rule and govern the kingdom of the Jews, and could reason with the wisest and most profound doctors of law and divinity, and make their theories and practice to appear like folly compared with the wisdom He possessed; but He was a boy only, and lacked physical strength even to defend His own person; and was subject to cold, to hunger, and to death." (more about his teaching the learned in the next post.)
Much of what we are taught today is questionable. The answers keep changing! John Bytheway (and LDS author....love his stuff) says: "Read the the book where the answers never change."....meaning the Scriptures!
Cute story that just happened in Primary last Sunday. While teaching a class I stated that when we speak to Heavenly Father we pray. Then asked, "How does Heavenly Father speak to us?" The answer I was hoping to get from them or to help them understand was....He speaks to us through the scriptures. A little 5 year old said,"Well, there's this voice inside your head and you have to listen to it." Out of the mouths of babes!
How do you begin to teach children about prayer? The best way is to set the example. Children learn best by watching and then doing, not just being told what/how to do something. Good teachers/mentors/parents guide and give correction when needed. One of the first prayers a child learns is to ask a blessing on the food. That prayer has all of the elements needed: Addressing our Heavenly Father, thank Him for blessings, ask for things that we need and close in the name of Jesus Christ. Hey guess what there is a Primary song about that very thing....listen to it here! Be sure and click button for words and music.
Two quotes:
"To better understand prayer, I have listened to the counsel of others, pondered the scriptures, and studied the lives of prophets and others. Yet what seems most helpful is seeing in my mind a child approaching trustingly a loving, kind, wise, understanding Father, who wants us to succeed.
Don't worry about your clumsily expressed feelings. Just talk to your Father. He hears every prayer and answers it in His way." (Ensign, Nov. 1989...Elder Richard G. Scott)
Next Quote:
"To pray....may I suggest a process to follow: go where you can be alone, go where you can think, go where you can kneel, go where you can speak out loud to Him....Now picture him in your mind's eye. Think to whom you are speaking, control your thoughts - don't let them wander, address him as your Father and your friend. Now tell him things you really feel to tell him - not trite phrases that have little meaning, but have a sincere, heartfelt conversation with him. Confide in him, ask him for forgiveness, plead with him, enjoy him, thank him, express your love to him, and then listen for his answers. (Ensign, January 1974...--H. Burke Peterson)
As a rebellious teenager I pictured a kindly, nonjudgemental, encouraging little ole grandpa type Heavenly Father. (Say someone like President Kimball...wink)
Today my Heavenly Father looks different in my mind....not old....still kind, encouraging, judgemental as in "I know you can do better than this"...... bold and powerful but always with perfect self control! What does he look like to you?
OK, I have a challenge for us....Let's read the Book of John once a month for the whole year. I have only read it straight through twice in my whole life....pathetic! Why John? Because this is the book where Jesus' words are used the most. There are 21 chapters in this book, I just read John 6...it took me 90 seconds to read 71 verses, the longest chapter in the Book of John. Now I know that reading isn't studying. You are not going to understand what He is teaching without indepth study but you will "hear" His voice and begin to understand more fully who He is. May I suggest you make a journal entry of what you know about Jesus and how you feel about Him now. We will check in periodically to find out what's changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment